club started at the turn of the century and played at Pound Corner. Teams came
out on the train and walked up across the moor; a wooden hut in the corner of
the field was the only shelter and the players changed behind the gorse bushes.
A rough time, the people worked hard and played hard. The club colours were old
gold and black, the club has now reverted to these same old colours. After World War 1 they continued to play at Pound until Sargent's Field was acquired on 1926.
With a great deal of work and effort from the club's benefactor, Mr. Walter Youlden,
Fillace Park Recreation Field came into being.
of the West Devon League in 1927/28, local players included Gawman, Hicks, Toop,
May, Frise, Northey and Crossman. The crowds were starved of entertainment and
the football teams were always well supported. 1 say teams because the second
team was formed and was known as the 'Robins', because of their red shirts. Around
1929/30 season the 'Robins' played at Pound. This team consisted of youngsters
from the village who met in the back room of The Shrubbery in Bedford Road in
order to pick the team from Bill and Jim Dawe, Dave Rush, Paddy Toland, Cliff
Cann, Bill Crossman, Bob Halfyard, Fred Pollard, Joe Brown, Ted and Fred Berryman
and Ginger Oliver.
halfday closing saw Horrabridge form their Devon Wednesday Team and the kids at
the school would spot the players from the playground and make a beeline to the
park to watch the second half. Towards the end of the 30's the 'Robins' disbanded
and reformed as the Crusaders. Most of the players had nicknames, Poet, Dabtoes,
Chic, Ganger, to name but a few, also John Martin, Horace Davie, Jim Dawe, Cyril
Berryman and a young chap called Lionel Baker who was bald at 16, the team had
many complaints about playing overage players.